Re: F8 is a problem

Jim Cornette wrote:

Thanks for pointing out the additional options. My wife put all of my accessories away and I only recently found the DVD burner. The other computers are here and there so a DVD is he best option since they vary with manufacturer.

I am not sure I follow this. I upgraded a Toshiba laptop and a home-brew desktop using the USB stick and the DVD .iso loop mounted so my web server could serve it out. I think you can serve out the DVD image directly, but this way the server, and not the install machine, processed the DVD image.

I like the USB stick idea and will investigate it later.

The USB stick takes the place of the boot CD. It does not have to be that big. You do not have to put the DVD image on it.

I guess I'm getting less enthusiastic about downloading a DVD so often. I upgraded some Internet available computers from F7 to F8. Since people refer to not being able to upgrade with F8 and need to do a clean installation, I see no hurry to burn a DVD. The target computers are upgrades from several years ago, from memory around 2004 and going strong.

I have done a yum upgrade in the past. But there were enough changes in packaging in F8 that it did not work for me. I think I could have solved it, but it was not worth the effort.

I truly would like to see an upgrade which offered new packages for installation instead of just doing a straight upgrade and not offering the improvements/changes.

There is a new yum plugin that is susposed to help with this. I have not researched it, but I did notice it when looking at yum plugins.

Mikkel