Re: F8 is a problem

Michael Schwendt wrote:
On 19/01/2008, Craig White <craigwhite@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sat, 2008-01-19 at 04:14 +0100, Michael Schwendt wrote:
On 19/01/2008, Karl Larsen <k5di@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
    Hi Jim, well I really have had nothing but trouble with F8.
Doesn't surprise me. I also reinstalled F8 on Sun 09 Dec 2007, but
after more problems than losing only pulseaudio and related gstreamer
components. Too many untested or poorly tested updates are published
for F8. It is a moving target.
----
is there something unstated here?

do you lack enthusiasm for the switch over to pulse audio?

No, it's an interesting effort with good goals. Actually, I would
welcome any changes that would hide "ALSA", "OSS", and low-level audio
device names from the user of a modern Linux desktop.

I lack enthusiasm for a never-ending flood of updates that turned F8
into something that worked less good in comparison with its several
test releases.
This I noticed too. There seems to be something besides the problems I was trying to correct going on. This is a stark thing when compared to the good effects updates had on F7. It was pretty bad before the updates improved it to the current state.
 Even without using "root" to do any bad things to my
installation, more and more components malfunctioned. Some refused to
work and some became binary incompatible even requiring rebuilds and
further updates. Overall, I've had the feeling that all those software
version upgrades moved away the distribution too quickly from the
tested gold release of F8 and ought to have been tested longer and
painstakingly first. And that possibly it mattered much when exactly
to apply updates. For example, that skipping one package release
increased the chance of causing problems whereas applying every
package release would have worked (or vice versa). Without a doubt,
the updates for F8 that I installed up to Dec 9th broke my
installation in multiple ways. Up to a point where reinstalling became
the more convenient option than debugging XML files, IPC and component
installation and registration and spending additional time in a bug
tracking system that's slow like a snail and also user-unfriendly.

You never mentioned Nvidia which is a thorn in my side. I can't get Fedora to send me updated Nvidia drivers with each new kernel because I can't find the right rpm on the non-fedora repo called freshrpm.repo. The addition of that repo srewed up my yum to the point I re-loaded F8.
I thought it was all my doing that was causing my problems. Nice to hear there are deeper problems that are assisting my trouble. Somehow I got update to send me the Nvidia drivers along with each new kernel on F7. I will stay here.

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User