Re: mplayer vs realvideo

On Fri, 2008-01-18 at 06:27 +0000, dexter wrote:
> http://www8.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/releases/codecs/windows-essential-20071007.zip
>
> or install Realplayer for linux, copy the codecs remove realplayer
> sorted.

I'm curious why you suggest to install the windows-essential archive
rather than the Linux one?  Have you noticed any difference in
behaviour?

The website says that one should pick the package meant for your CPU and
OS.  I can see a few differences in the archive contents, ones that each
other doesn't have:

Linux has
 drvc.so
 dspr.so.6.0
 sipr.so.6.0
 tokf.s.6.0
 tokr.so.6.0
 vid_3ivX.xa

Windows has
 drv33260.dll
 drv43260.dll
 pncrt.dll
 sipr3260.dll
 tokr3260.dll
 vmnc.dll

I never did manage to get Linux to properly play a real media file that
I tried, a while ago, no matter what I did.  It would play sound, but
not the picture.  I eventually got mplayer installed on Windows Vista to
play it, though.

This clip:
<http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/check/science/space/realmedia/skyatnight_dec07?size=16x9&bgc=000000&nbram=1&bbram=1>

Found on this page: