Re: That ole Livna Problem/That ole VLC Problem

Lamar Owen wrote:
On Thursday 17 January 2008, Tim wrote:
e.g. Someone sets up Livna, to install mplayer.  Then they want to
install something that can only be found from another repo, so they set
that up.  Later on, they want to install vlc and just do yum install
vlc, and all hell breaks loose.

Let's use a specific example.

They initially set up livna to watch DVD's. Then they get a nice ivtv-based MPEG enocder card, and decide to set up MythTV. ATrpms is 'THE' place to get MythTV for Fedora. So they set up ATrpms.

Now they install vlc.

In which case they should look into yum priorities. The following page is for Centos, but explains the principle.

http://wiki.centos.org/PackageManagement/Yum/Priorities

Last time I was running Fedora I used this to do exactly what you described, and it worked pretty well.

cheers Chris