Re: Re : GIMP disappearance

Croombe F. Pensom wrote:
I, too, thought I'd lost GIMP but it is actually there but its name and
ikon have changed. If you look under Graphics you'll find that it's
still there only it's now called GNU Image Manipulation Program and its
ikon is now a funny looking fox-like cartoon creature.

I am running Fedora 8 but I assume that this an artifact of GIMP rather
than Fedora.

No, I'm pretty sure it's Fedora's decision.

Some time back I was having trouble with the "Package Updater" (filename pup) and asked why program names had been replaced with marketing names.

According to Rahul Sundaram, "Descriptive names are much better for non-technical users compared to a menu entry called "Pup".

So replace "pup" with "gimp" above and you have your answer.

I'd suppose that means that if you are a technical user you should be able to determine with what the program name has been substituted.

Hope that adds to your confusion.  Does mine ;D

Mike Wright