Re: ntfs-3g drives mounted on desktop F8

On 16/01/2008, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Jan 16, 2008 11:29 AM, Ian Malone <ibmalone@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > I've installed F8 (finally took the 64bit plunge and it seems to be
> > going well so far).  This machine has two ntfs partitions on it and
> > under F7 I used ntfs-config to set them up.  One is used for
> > Windows and I want it read-only, the other is for shared data
> > and can be read-write.  When I installed F8 I discovered they
> > showed up in the computer folder and mounted them from there;
> > now they are both on the desktop, described as " 30.3 GB
> > Volume" and "32.6 GB Volume" and both read-write.
> >
> > What I want to do is give them rational names and change one
> > to read only.  I have installed ntfs-config to set one of them up
> > to a sensible mount point, but it still appears on the desktop
> > as "30.3 GB Volume".  Is there any sensible way to fix this?
> > (I assume I could do some funny HAL rules, but that seems
> > un-necessarily hack-ish.)
> >

> In my experience, Nautilus pulls the volume label if available. It probably
> just isn't set.
>
> I used MLABEL for my iPod but it is a FAT32 file system... It looks like
> ntfsprogs has a command line method to set labels on NTFS partitions.

That seems to do it; thanks for the help.  FWIW I've used ntfs-config
to set the mount points and permissions manually and set the labels
so they show up correctly in Nautilus.  As far as this goes F8 is
superior to F7 in that they show up on the desktop as discs, though
the configuration is possibly a bit more confusing.

--
imalone