Re: Linux Friendly Hardware Database ??

On Wed, Jan 16, 2008 at 01:16:01 -0800,
  "Michael A. Peters" <mpeters@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> So I'm on the hunt for a new DVD burner, but I'd like to find one that
> allows firmware updating via boot floppy or bootable flash drive. I'm
> having trouble finding one.

I think there are a couple of manufactirers that have linux firmware update
programs. I remember one from the manufacturer and another done by a third
party guy with semiofficial help from the manufacturer. Neither was open
source. I think one of these was for plextor and the other NEC, but its
been a while, so you;ll need to check.

> Is there a hardware database of Linux friendly hardware that takes into
> account things like firmware updates?

The FSF is trying to track some of this stuff, but their page isn't that
good. I don't know if they would even distinuish between having to run
a propietary update program on a free OS from having to run a propietary
program on a nonfree OS.

> I hate having to replace hardware that otherwise functions perfectly,
> but just needs new firmware.

P.S.
You might also look for alternative firmware. There are some that will
reset the region code counter every time you change it. You can also
get ones that remove some of the speed governing, that both keeps the
drive quiet and slows down copying.