Re: vfat lv sharing

On Tue, 2008-01-15 at 10:29 -0500, Weiner, Michael wrote:
> I have a machine with 2 disks in it, one runs winXP, the other Fedora. I
> want to take a logical volume from the linux side that is currently
> formatted as vfat (FAT32) and be able to see it on the windows side. The
> linux side is LVM, and I am having issues seeing the lv on the windows
> side. Is this possible? Has any one done this before? And can anyone
> share any tips to help make this work?

You can format a partition as VFAT *or* LVM, it can't be both at the
same time.

If you've got a LVM partition showing up as VFAT that probably means
that you prepared that partition for use as VFAT, but then reformatted
it to be LVM.  The partition type will only set the default that a
format will do, you can override the default.  Reformatting doesn't
reset the partition type to show how it was formatted.

See <http://www.chrysocome.net/explore2fs> for something that can read
LVM on Windows.  I haven't tried it myself, I just read a reference to
it on a website.

--
[tim@bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.23.12-52.fc7 i686 i386

I read messages from the public lists.

If I wanted a hard time I would have used Windows...