Re: Trying to rescue a hard disk -- weired feedback??

Thanks to everyone:

On Mon, 2008-01-14 at 07:42 +0900, John Summerfield wrote:
> William Case wrote:
> > Hi;
> >
> > I have a hard disk that seems broken but I am trying to save -- or at
> > least save the data on it.
> >
> > The broken hard disk is a dual boot SCSI disk that worked.
> >       * BIOS says that the disk is present and accounted for i.e. right
> >         name and size even after swapping in and out other harddisks.
>
> Means the electrical and electronic bits appear to work. I don't know
> that the motor has to spin up for this to pass.
>

> >       * Using Fedora rescue disk, parted /dev/sda says can't read sda.
> >       * Using Fedora rescue disk, fdisk /dev/sda says can't read sda.
> >       * Using Fedora rescue disk, chroot /mnt/sysimage can't mount
> >         sysimage.
>
> That's one test three times. No surprise that, when the first fails the
> others do too. It's likely to be a catastrophic such as motor speed not
> up to par, rw head don't move (I'm only speculating, I presume these
> things can happen).

On one hand I think it is a busted, broken, dead disk, on the other hand
it was working just recently and the data seems tantalizingly close.

> >       * fdisk /mbr says can't fix mbr.  ( I am not sure whether this
> >         message means that nothing is wrong with the mbr or that it is
> >         beyond repair )
>
> I didn't think fdisk on Fedora supported such a thing.

It doesn't, but this disk was used to dual boot Fedora and WindowsXP.
Thought I would see if rebuilding the mbr for/to the Windows partition
would help find the various partitions.

> > I would like to do any of the following:
> >       * get the hard disk working again, or,
> >       * view the data on the disk, and/or,
> >       * rescue the data on the disk.
> >
> > What should I try next?
>
> 1. Try knoppix. I am not optimistic though.
> 2. Engage expensive data recovery experts.
>
> I think the disk is bin-fodder.

Could very well be.  It is a friend's hard disk, not mine.

We have swapped disks in and out of two machines, tried so many
permutations and combinations of disks, operating systems and roots that
I have completely lost track by late tonight.  I am going to leave it
until morning; start fresh and if I don't make any progress within a
couple of hours then, quit.

Thanks for the suggestions and help

--
Regards Bill