Re: Problem with RocketRaid driver installation (was: Where is boot loader installed in a RAID1 configuration?)

Erik P. Olsen wrote:
Erik P. Olsen wrote:
Brian Chadwick wrote:
when the installer asks where to put the bootloader, even though it says /dev/sdb, change it to say /dev/sda ...

I've done that but it changes it back to /sdb :-(

Oh, I forgot the advanced option for the boot loader. Now I changed it to /dev/sda1 and ran the installation to completion. But after the reboot that the installer requested I just got a series of beeps and a black screen with the word GRUB in the upper left corner.

Does this mean that I can't boot from a RAID1 device?

OK. I've come a bit further. RocketRaid 1720 support for the SATA arrays comes in a form that has to be copied to a floppy which in turn is loaded by the anaconda installer such that it may access the array and install products on it. However, the only support which is not installed on the new system is the RocketRaid 1720 driver itself. No wonder I couldn't boot the system.

I hope the following method will work:

1. Build a non-SATA Fedora 7 system.
2. Install the missing RocketRaid 1720 driver on this system.
3. This temporary system can now access the RAID1 array and the missing driver may now be transferred to the SATA system.
4. After verifying the success (hopefully) the temporary system can be ditched.

I would be interested in hearing comments to this.
--
Erik.