Re: [SOLVED!!] Re: can i completely delete and recreate my network interfaces?

On Sun, 13 Jan 2008, John Summerfield wrote:

> man ifrename
> man ifrename
> man ifrename

sorry, what was that again?  :-)

> Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >
> > i apologize for rambling on so much this morning ... argh.  i'm not
> > sure this was the right solution but, based on what you can see in
> > my earlier posts, the broadcom wireless chip seemed absolutely
> > determined to grab control of both wlan0 and eth0.  so i just gave up
> > on eth0, and created /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-eth1, and
> > added "alias eth1 sky2" to /etc/modprobe.conf, rebooted, ran s-c-n,
> > where, under "Hardware", i can now see an entry for the Marvell Fast
> > Ethernet Controller associated with eth1, and i can activate that
> > interface.
> >
> > should i have known that?  is it normal behaviour for the b43 driver
> > to also grab eth0?  that's certainly not what i've seen on some of my
> > other systems.  is this a bug?  in any event, i'm not convinced this
> > is actually the *proper* fix, it's just *a* fix.  i need a drink.
>
> Rebooting is the easy way to get HAL or whatever to scan the PCI bus
> and load drivers. Probably, starting whatever in /etc/init.d would
> have done as well, but rebooting is orderly and supposedly
> repeatable and most likely to be correct.
>
> Once the drivers are loaded, "ifconfig -a" identifies the devices'
> names that they have chosen.
>
> I suspect that when drives are being enumerated asynchronously, the
> names they actually get might be a little random, especially when
> there are two or more identical drives (think two PCI network cards
> with the same realtek chips).
>
> Note too, that these days it's possible for users (eg RPD) to rename
> devices.

ok, i'll definitely give that a shot, but i'm still curious as to why
the wireless interface insists on grabbing *both* eth0 and wlan0 on
that system when, on another system of mine, eth0 is assigned to the
onboard intel ethernet controller, while the wireless interface is
content with just wlan0.  somehow, the first result just seems wrong.

rday
Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA

Home page:                                         http://crashcourse.ca