Re: can i completely delete and recreate my network interfaces?

On Sun, 13 Jan 2008, John Summerfield wrote:

> Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >   let's see if i can make a long story short.  for the sake of sheer
> > experimentation, i wanted to see if i could *totally* remove all
> > networking configuration from a gateway laptop running F8 x86_64, then
> > use system-config-network (henceforth, s-c-n) to recreate it from
> > scratch.
> >
> >   the underlying hardware (from lspci):
> > 02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88E8036
> > PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller (rev 10)
> > 08:07.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One
> > 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02)
> >
> >   so i went into s-c-n, removed all traces of network configuration
> > under both the Devices and Hardware tabs, saved that, removed the
> > lines from /etc/modprobe.conf:
> >
> >   alias eth0 sky2          (um ... i think that's what it was)
> >   alias wlan0 b43	   (added previously by me for wireless)
> >
> > i then unloaded the above modules from the system, and verified that
> > the directory /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices is utterly empty.  so
> > ... should i be able to put stuff back?
> >
> >   if i invoke s-c-n again, i'm not surprised to see both the Devices
> > and Hardware tabs totally empty.  so how could i recreate the wired
> > interface eth0?  if i try to add a new device of type "Ethernet
> > Connection", i'm given only a choice of "Other Ethernet Card", and i
> > don't see a corresponding entry for that ethernet controller.  should
> > i?  or am i going about this the wrong way?  what would be the correct
> > recipe to restore my eth0 interface?
> >
> >   i have just as little success trying to restore the wlan0 wireless
> > interface, *until* i add the line
> >
> >   alias wlan0 b43
> >
> > back to /etc/modprobe.conf, at which point restoring the wireless
> > interface via s-c-n is a piece of cake (it even handles the access
> > point's WEP).
> >
> >   so wireless is back, but still no wired interface eth0, although i'm
> > puzzled that the directory /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices now
> > contains three files:
> >
> > ifcfg-eth0
> > ifcfg-wlan0
> > keys-wlan0
> >
> > and ifcfg-eth0 contains:
> >
> > # Intel Corporation PRO/100 VE Network Connection
> > DEVICE=eth0
> > BOOTPROTO=dhcp
> > HWADDR=00:E0:B8:BF:7C:3F
> > ONBOOT=yes
> > TYPE=Ethernet
> >
> >   so what have i messed up?  is there, in fact, any way to restore
> > eth0?  thanks.
>
> I think you need to reboot.

as a last test, i once again removed every trace of wireless from the
system, then manually added back in the config file
/etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-eth0:

DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
HWADDR=<MAC address>
ONBOOT=yes
TYPE=Ethernet

and added to /etc/modprobe.conf:

  alias eth0 sky2

then rebooted.  upon reboot, i run s-c-n and, under Devices, i find:

  Inactive | eth0 | eth0 | Ethernet

ok, that looks promising.  but under the Hardware tab, i see:

  Broadcom BCM4318 ... | Ethernet | eth0  | ok
  Broadcom BCM4318 ... | Wireless | wlan0 | system
  Broadcom BCM4318 ... | Wireless | wlan0 | system

argh!   am i misunderstanding something fundamental here?  why does
wireless insist on getting in the way, even though i've tried to
de-activate it every way i can think of?

i'm pretty much out of ideas here.  wireless is easy to restore, but
for the life of me, i can't recreate eth0.

rday

Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA

Home page:                                         http://crashcourse.ca