Re: sudo doesn't work, I'm not in sudoers file, but I am.

On Jan 12, 2008 5:53 PM, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >From the sudoers file:
>
> [...]
> ## Allow root to run any commands anywhere
> root    ALL=(ALL)       ALL
> gene    ALL=(ALL)       ALL

Sure looks okay to me.  Note that you can also use:
gene    ALL=(ALL)      NOPASSWD: ALL

to be able to use sudo without having to enter the password.

> Humm, stupid?  question:  Does this only take effect after a reboot?

No reboot required, changes take effect immediately.

> Weird, I just took it back out, (vim said it was a read-only file so I had to
> use the :w! to write it) and the lockout was instant:

You should use visudo to edit sudoers, not vi.  Try: man visudo for more info.
In addition to being safer, visudo will warn you if there are any
errors in the sudoers file.

Mike