Re: n00b questions about ipods and linux (fedora 6 and 7)

Dean S. Messing wrote:
Michael A. Peters wrote:
Dean S. Messing wrote:
I am thinking about buying a 160 GB iPod for my daughter for her
approaching golden birthday (she's turning 18).

I know _zero_ about iPods (or any other external device toys).
I've had excellent luck with gtkpod - but with brand new models, it sometimes takes some time.

Would you elaborate this, please?

With respect to AAC - my experience is that Apple's AAC encoder is better than faac (linux encoder) but it's been awhile.

How does one use Apple's AAC encoder?  Can it be used under Linux?  We
do not own an Apple or a M$-based PC though I have a minimal
installation of XP running in VMware---just enough to be able to use
Word and PowerPoint when I must.

I myself just use lame to encode to mp3 - I use preset-standard and the quality is fine, but if she has an excellent musical ear, she may want a higher bitrate. I prefer to use mp3 because mp3 works with everything out there.

As far as how it compares with AAC - that's something audiophiles argue about all the time. I can't tell the difference between a 192VBR lame encoded MP3 and a 192VBR quicktime (iTunes) encoded AAC. But I don't have a good musical ear, let alone a trained good ear.

I have a fair "musical ear", but not a good physical one: I can't hear
very well above about 17KHz and I have a bad case of tinitus.  But my
daughter says she hears "funny stuff" in 192 Kbs MP3 so I now rip to
.wav.

Dean

Hmm.. If you were not stuck using the native iPod/iTunes you'd almost be better off with FLAC...

Richard