Re: WARNING: Flash might kill all your sound

Craig White wrote:
On Sat, 2008-01-12 at 01:37 +0100, Mark wrote:
Hey,

i don't know if this is known or not but i recently installed the
Flash RPM from the macromedia site [1]. If you install that plugin and
than use start a flash animation that uses sound you might kill all
the sound on your system. I didn't trace the problem in details but a
fix for it is to restart your pc (sad) or just to leave flash out of
your linux box.

I hope this helps some people.

[1] http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash
----
I don't know, flash works ok for me but I am probably just dumb and
lucky I guess.

Noticeably absent from your description is:
- which version of Fedora you are using
- which version of Flash Player Plugin you used
- errors reported on screen, in syslog or dmesg
- whether you installed libflashsupport (F8)
- which sound system you are using
- what the response was from Adobe when you reported the problem

Craig

I have, on occasion, lost all sound on my system (emu10k1 with a Boston Acoustics 3-D speaker set) for no apparent reason. Perhaps I was running into this bug. But my remedy is not to shut down the system--that is useless. Instead, I turn on the SD Amplifier Output Jack and 3D Controller switches, and sound comes back on. I maintain those switches as part of my Volume Control setup.

Temlakos