Re: Google Earth

On Thu, 2008-01-10 at 16:51 -0700, Karl Larsen wrote:
> Craig White wrote:

> >> Nope it was loading and un-loading pulseaudio that screwed it up. Those
> >> stupid rpm's sent out by Fedora are MADE with the thing I used. You
> >> can't get it in your heads that Nvidia built the video hardware and they
> >> are good enough to provide a driver for both Windows and Linux. If it
> >> doesn't work on Fedora, it's a Fedora problem!
> >>
> > ----
> > well, when all nVidia ships is closed source and binary form only, how
> > would you propose Fedora fix the problem?
> >
>     Perhaps if someone good with C and C++ from Fedora talks to Nvidia
> and promise not to give the source code to anyone else you could build a
> Fedora rpm.
----
are you suggesting that Fedora surrender it's commitment to only open
source because of nVidia?

ignoring the fact that the kernel development team has offered to sign
NDA's to work with any device manufacturer so they can write an open
source driver (I believe that BSD community was a bit non-plussed about
this concept), nVidia obviously passed on the offer.

What you 'perhaps' is a ship that's already sailed. Now what solution do
you propose?
----
> > and by the way, you should feel free to check out SuSE, Ubuntu,
> Debian,
> > Gentoo, Mandriva and the vast array of other Linux distributions
> that
> > are available...perhaps their rpm's suck less.
> >
>     They don't use rpm and yes they may be a lot better. I might look
> at
> what Debian has. I have apt-get working on my F8.
----
actually, you can use rpm with Debian but it's not their primary
packaging method.

sounds like you're good to go...bye

Craig