Re: R: Re: Google Earth

On Thursday 10 January 2008 11:20:13 am anto.montagnani@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Da: paul.lemmons@xxxxxxxxx
> Data: 10-gen-
> A: "For users of Fedora"<fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Google Earth
> From: Karl Larsen <k5di@xxxxxxxxxx>
> To: For users of Fedora <fedora-
> Date: 01/10/2008 11:47 AM

> Larsen <k5di@xxxxxxxxxx>

> list@xxxxxxxxxx>

> that

> that it is

> sentences when you are making a

> actually take you seriously.

> fine for me under RHELv4, RHELv5, and F8.

> did

> rendering: Yes

> >> $
>
> glxinfo | grep direct
>
> >> direct rendering: No (If you want to find out
>
> why, try setting
>
> >> LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose)
> >> OpenGL renderer string:
>
> Mesa GLX Indirect
>
> >> and it is working with nv driver in FC9 rawhide
> :
> :-)
> :
> >>

> >    This is hard to explain, but in a non-root terminal I
>
> put glxinfo |
>
> > grep direct and my screen went blank, much like it
>
> does with google
>
> > earth, and after a few seconds I had to reboot from
>
> init level 3!
>
> >    It appears glxinfo is not working right on my F8.
> >

> > Karl
>
> It is my understanding that Google Earth wants to use
> the 3D
> acceleration offered by your graphics card. I only say this
> because it
> simply would not work for me until I got that working
> first. My
> experience is that Google Earth is fine, your graphics card
> is probably
> not setup right. This hunch is supported by the fact that
> glxinfo
> produces the same results as Google Earth for you.
> What type
> of graphics card do you have? (/sbin/lspci)
> --
> fedora-list mailing
> list
> fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx
>

> 3D is used only if available: on my
> computers, one is using nv (that has no 3D capabilities) and work, the
> other one uses intel as driver (no 3D) and GE kills session.
> No
> explanation for me.

I am using Fedora 8 with updates and many packages installed.

I have the 945G (Intel chipset on ASUS P5GC-MX/1333 and there was nothing
magic in setting up the xorg.conf file.  If I recall reading the ASUS manual,
this chipset supports acceleration but I am no expert in this area.  The real
difficulty I had was finding the latest LAN device driver - what a beyatch!
It took me 2 weeks to figure this one out, being a "semi-newbie".

I downloaded and installed Google Earth, ran it, and it worked great.  Wow,
what an amazing product! Google Earth works for me, so perhaps there is a
problem with the graphics card not being supported by Google Earth, or maybe
xorg does not know how to recognize the card and automagically set it up
properly, or an improper xorg.conf file configuration file?   What do I know.
FWIW.

Dan