can't rebuild "eth0" interface for marvell pci-e fast ethernet controller

(i think this is sort of related to one of today's earlier posts by a
different poster.)

  i'm experimenting on one of my gateway laptops running f8 x86_64
and, as a test, i used system-config-network (s-c-n) to delete the two
interfaces eth0 and wlan0, under the assumption that i could use the
same utility to recreate them.  maybe not such a good assumption, as
it turns out.

  from lspci, i can see that i have both:

* Marvell Technology Group 88E8036 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller, and
* Network Controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [Airforce One 54g]

ok, that's reasonable.

  now if i run s-c-n, the initial screen shows me no currently
configurable devices on my system -- exactly what i expected. but if i
go to the "Hardware" tab to see the currently available hardware, i
see only one entry:

  Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 / Ethernet / eth0 / ok

that strikes me as just wrong -- why don't i see the wired interface
as well, which is what should correspond to eth0?

  if i try to create a new "Ethernet" device, i'm shown a choice of
the broadcom device.  but if try to create a wireless device, i don't
see broadcom as an option.  that seems backwards.  and no matter what
i do, i can't seem to recreate my wired interface eth0.

  have i totally hosed my test system at this point?  is there no way
to recreate those interfaces as they were before?  thanks.

rday

Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA

Home page:                                         http://crashcourse.ca