Re: new wrt54g user questions

Timothy Murphy <gayleard <at> eircom.net> writes:

> I'm running dhcpd on my desktop.
> It's not really clear to me how the request from a laptop
> gets through the router to the desktop.

It may be worth checking the following since you are requesting an ip from
the desktop running dhcpd but any box within the LAN could in principle
offer hdcp service (such as your router):

First do you have a definition file set up which includes a static address
for all your laptops in /etc/dhcpd.conf referenced by MAC address?
Or are you setting it up to offer any address from a range?

Do you have DHCP turned on or off in the router? If you are running dhcp
in your desktop then presumably you want it switched off on any other box
that can run a dhcp service?