Re: Gecko crash in Thunderbird/F8

Michael A. Peters wrote:

> On Thursday, December 20, 2007, at 12:31PM, "Mickey Bankhead"
> <mickey@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>I've recently installed F8 on my new Dell, and I've got a terrible
>>annoying problem with Thunderbird...
>>
>>If I launch Thunderbird, it opens fine. Every time I click to open and
>>read any e-mail message, I get this pop-up Gecko Crashed window, and
>>Thunderbird crashed back to the X Desktop.
>>I can fix the problem by yum erase thunderbird, then yum install
>>thunderbird.  It works for ONE time I load thunderbird.  As soon as I
>>close Thunderbird, the problem starts over, and I cannot click to
>>open/read any e-mail message again until I yum erase thunderbird, and
>>yum install thunderbird.....!
>
> Try nuking your thunderbird preferences.
> I know that's not a proper fix, but I suspect it is an oddity in your
> preferences that is causing it problems.
>
> Also - install the gdb and the thunderbird-debuginfo package and try to
> get a backtrace - as that may help squash a bug.
>
> You should be able to start thunderbird from gdb, and get a backtrace when
> it crashes.
>
> --

FWIW, if you install the Thunderbird from the Mozilla website /and/ the
necessary compat-libstdc++ rpm the crash goes away (I've been having the
exact same problem since moving to Fedora 8 and installing the Thunderbird
rpm...should'a known better than to use the rpm)...I'm guessing that the
version from Mozilla doesn't use the Gecko engine?

Kevin Martin