Re: new wrt54g user questions

Mr.Scrooge wrote:
> --- Kam Leo <kam.leo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>> Now, I want to create internal network.  Is it just a matter of changing
>>> the desktop that represents the internal network to a different subnetwork?
>>> dsl modem = 192.168.0.1
>> The modem does not have an address.
> Yes it does. Many DSL modems also provide a firewall. Change the range of addresses handed out by
> the router to something different than what is on the DSL modem. So if the modem is 192.168.0.1
> then change the router to handout 192.168.1.0 network addresses. The hub is unnecessary. The
> router should handle dhcp for your two clients and the modem will give an address to the router.
> One interface faces the modem (typically labeled internet) the other ports face the network. So in
> the router setup, the address for the router should be 192.168.0.2  if the dsl modem is
> 192.168.0.1
>
> -Max

The WAN IP address of the router depends on the configuration. On my
router, it is the "real" IP address. But I have the modem set up to
do the PPPoE connection, not the router. The DSL modem is still
192.168.0.1, and has a nice status WEB page. the LAN address of the
router is 192.168.1.1, and the WAN address is 68.248.xxx.xxx

Mikkel