Re: LDAP be killing me. I need a good step by step

On Wed, 2008-01-09 at 01:13 -0500, Ric Moore wrote:
> > > missing"(tm) in them. Someone please direct me to "something that just
> > > works."(tm) as it's making me blind, crazy, old and cranky. Ric
> >
> > Maybe you could start by tell folks what you need/want?  I think your
> > request is way to general.  I know you are blind, crazy, and cranky...but
> > stop and think for a moment.
>

> Just a really good tried and true website reference for setting up ldap.
> I've googled, went to various sites which all are a bit different from
> each other, in procedure, and none has resulted in a working ldap
> server. Even after trying to mentally diff them and come up with
> something in the middle. Ergo, my appeal is to someone/anyone that has
> used a webpage reference that works, step by step, I'd dearly love to
> have it. I'm trying to use openldap. I thought sendmail was difficult.
> It's a cakewalk compared to ldap/openldap. :) Ric
----
LDAP is an erector set and what you build is entirely up to you. There
is no one way, there aren't just 10 ways to use it but rather it is
entirely up to you, the admin to use it in any way you see fit and it is
only the RFC's that prescribe what it must do for compliance that it
seeks to serve.

That said, you are probably best off going to the Administrator's Guide
on OpenLDAP's own website for starting out...

http://www.openldap.org/doc/admin23/ (note the admin23 refers to
OpenLDAP 2.3.x which is I believe the version you are looking at on a
current Fedora)

Craig