Re: Appalling desktop performance in F8

On Tue, 2008-01-08 at 22:50 -0800, Michael A. Peters wrote:
> I power everything off when I leave for any period of time. I use to
> be an uptime freak - I don't care now. If I'm not home, it doesn't
> need to be powered on. I even power off the cable modem.
>
> I know it is harder on hard drives, but I don't think it is that big
> of a deal.

I would expect the running life of a hard drive to, at least, support
the drive being turned on and off once a day.  If not, then the
manufacturer's doing a really crap job.  It would be unreasonable to
expect devices must be permanantly running, even if it were hardware
designed specifically for use in servers (which most probably isn't).

I would also expect it's operational life time to be long enough that
you'd have replaced it out of choice, long before it dies.  e.g. For
want of a bigger or faster drive.  Though that doesn't seem to be the
case, these days.

--
[tim@bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.23.1-10.fc7 i686 i386