Re: Appalling desktop performance in F8

Alastair Neil wrote, On 01/08/2008 11:14 AM:
Has anyone else experienced terrible desktop performance with F8.  Under F7
on the same hardware I never had any significant problems, now it appears
several times a day my desktop locks up (or appears to), mouse movement
seems unaffected yet windows are unresponsive and I cannot move of select
any windows or panel objects, even the ctrl-alt-f virtual terminal sequence
seems to be ignored.  The media player continues happily playing audio. CPU
load seems pretty high during these lockups and pulseaudio appears to be
consuming much of it.  Usually if I am patient the system unlocks, however
often I resort to extreme measures.

Typically I used to have under F7 firefox, thunderbird several gnome
terminals, rhythmbox and occasionally openoffice open.  I have now resorted
to epiphany, thunderbird and quodlibet ( I cannot use evolution these days,
I have become addicted to the grouped by sort G  feature).

The system itself is a P4 2.8 GHZ Dell optiplex 270 with 2 Gbytes of memory
and an older nvidia card with two 19 inch monitors. I am using the
xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-96xx drivers and my home directory is mounted via NFSv3
over gigabit ethernet.

I'd appreciate knowing if anyone else has had similar problems before I roll
back to F7.  It is possible that I am having hardware problems, so the F7
roll back may not help.

Regards, Alastair Neil

Has anyone else been given access to the LAN you are on lately, or a new project started? like sending video or audio across the LAN, or new users consuming all the available nfs daemons.

instead of keeping ANY of it's configuration in core, while running, gnome keeps and references it's configuration from the file system[1]. This means that if NFS hiccups for a moment so will gnome, and when gnome hiccups you will not be able to give input to any of the other programs.

I have seen this even with FC4, though usually I can get 'ctrl-alt-f virtual terminal' to work (in a few moments), and there is no pulseaudio.

[1] at least from what I have seen of it's operation. Man I miss using fvwm, which IIRC may have made a comeback in F8.
--
Todd Denniston