Re: mail aliases question

On Mon, 2008-01-07 at 22:22 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> I'm not an 'engineer' although I've fixed lots of mistakes they made,
> but I am a pretty good C.E.T., and have been accused of having webbed
> feet cuz I 'walk on water' or asked how I can sit so low in a chair
> with balls that big, cuz there isn't anything I won't pull the covers
> off and fix, usually in 2 weeks less time than if we sent it back to
> the factory shops.

After the first time you do an impossible repair (since others couldn't
make it work), you get lumbered with all the worst things to fix up, and
then you get accused of "refusing to fix" anything that you say that you
can't figure out, while they stand over you getting desperate or agro
about it.  ;-)

Currently I'm messing around with an Ancient Astor audio desk for
something to do instead of being driven mad by computers.  It's full of
burnt out globes (being replaced by LEDs), a few burnt out or missing
transistors (the ABC just removed parts of the amplifiers without
replacing burnt out components - it works, but CMMR suffers), scratchy
pots (why do manufacturers not understand you should AC-couple audio
through pots and sockets?), balanced lines wired up to unbalanced
sockets and earthed in two spots, and a back panel that's only attached
with gaffer tape (gaffer tape does not a piano hinge make!).

Electronics is my first love, and I like being able to fix things and
they stay fixed (unlike computers!).  Though you do yourself out of work
with some customers once you fix all their equipment, unless they break
it through being ham-fisted.

It should really be junked, but I don't have the heart, and it's lots of
fun.  Besides, I don't have the spare cash to buy a new 12-channel
mixer, a proper studio one with all the mutes, remote starts, talkback
feeds, proper Penny & Giles faders, etc.  This thing is all bog-standard
transistors, no unavailable special electronic parts.  You could keep it
going until the crack of doom.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.