Re: Wireless Not Working on F8

On Sun, 2008-01-06 at 16:51 +0000, Dave Cross wrote:
> I've just carried out a complete new installation of F8 on a system
> which has been running various versions of Fedora for the last two or
> three years.
>
> The system has a wireless PCI card which it uses as its only
> connection to my home network (and, hence, the internet). This device
> is recognised as "Intersil Corporation Prism 2.5 Wavelan chipset". It
> has worked just fine under all previous versions of Fedora but since
> the upgrade to F8 the wireless networking doesn't seem to work.
>
> I'm using Network Manager (as I did with FC6 and F7) and my wireless
> network is seen, but when I try to connect to it, the icon twirls
> round for a while before failing.
>
> One thing I've noticed is that I seem to have three network interfaces
> eth0, eth1 and wifi0. eth0 is the (unused) ethernet port and the other
> two both seem to be the wireless card. I don't think I had that on F7.
>
> Since switching to using Network Manager a year or so ago, I seem to
> have forgotten everything I knew about debugging network problems on
> Linux. So any suggestions as to where to start would be most
> appreciated.
>
> I've attached the output from iwconfig and ifconfig as well as lsmod.
> I've also attached the /var/log/messages output which is created when
> I try to connect to the network.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dave...

Is the wireless router using WEP? Is it using a shared key? I had a lot
of trouble getting a bcm4318 mini wifi card working under F8 using
ndiswrapper (worked on F6 and previous). I tried a lot of things and one
thing that seemed to help was switching the router from a shared key to
open system (which from what I read is actually safer). Just my 2 cents.

Rick B.