Re: some simple questions on VNC

Tom Horsley wrote:
On Sun, 6 Jan 2008 09:43:11 -0500 (EST)
"Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

should i have expected that?  there's nothing in the man page for
vncviewer that remotely suggests a "::" variation.  (this is all based
on the stock f8 vnc packages -- no tightvnc tests yet.)

I don't think I've ever seen :: in the man page either, but I did see
it in some web pages when looking up how to forward through ssh, and
it is useful there if you forward to a local port number that isn't
in the 59xx range. The results you got would tend to suggest that
vncviewer will try with and without adding 5900 if you use a single :,
but it only tries the specific port number if you use a double ::
(and of course the tightvnc viewer may act different than the realvnc
viewer).

I think it's worth troubling BZ. One time I wanted to connect to a server outside the official port range (trying to get an Apple desktop which, it was said, used a variation on VNC). I overcame it with ssh and port forwarding, but :: would have been neater.

I wonder whether something can go between the colons?

For the curious, connecting to the Apple did not work, it used an Applescqe authorisation scheme. I have done it since though.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait