Re: Advanced learning of GNU/Linux advice

On Sun, 2008-01-06 at 14:52 +0000, Stewart Williams wrote:
> Fedora/CentOS/RHEL and Debian/Ubuntu seem to interest me the most,
> maybe I should just stick with one from each set.

Sounds like a good way to start.  You get familar with how a certain
family works, then you can apply the information learned to similar
distributions.  It would simplify the harder part of the learning curve.

I've looked at Ubuntu and BSD briefly.  They're different enough that I
stayed with something more familiar to me (Red Hat based), close enough
that I could *work* out much of how they did their tricks, but not close
enough that I could just do it without having to work it out.

There's two many distributions to try them all.  If you attempted it,
you'd never really find out much about them.  It'd be like those scant
reviews where you see someone briefly look at something then write
something virtually pointless about it.

--
[tim@bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.23.1-10.fc7 i686 i386