Re: HTTP Bad Request 400 - apache on Fedora 8

On Sun, 2008-01-06 at 03:25 -0600, Bob Hartung wrote:
>    I get the above error when (all machines on same private network):
>          I try to access the server from the remote client by ip
> address; e.g.  http://xxx.xxx.xx.xx.
>          With an entry into the client host file I can access the
> server with http://rwheserv1 without any problem.
>
>    On the server, I can http://localhost okay but cannot
> http://127.0.0.1
>
>    I changed httpd.conf

Did you change the configuration file to try and fix this problem, or
did the problem occur after you changed it?  You might want to post us
the entire configuration file.

>  to include:
>      NameServer xxx.xxx.xx.xx

To be sure, did you really type in "Nameserver" rather than
"ServerName"?  And what was the address after it, "127.0.0.1"?

>      UseCanonicalName On

In this case, hostname and IP must resolve against each other, or you'll
get strange problems.

Usually, things will work fine without any ServerName declaration, and
with "UseCanonicalName Off".

>    All firewalls have been turned off.
>
>    The result is the same.  It is pretty obvious I am missing one
> point but darned if I can find the directive that I have failed to
> set.

As someone else said, what's your /etc/hosts file like?

I'm not using FC8, but I'd heard a similar tale about someone using FC7
or FC6 (I can't remember which, now).  They had an issue with their
hosts file not being what's considered normal.

It should start like this, without any other host or domain names on
those two lines, and can have *other* addresses, as well, separately.

127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain   localhost
::1     localhost6.localdomain6 localhost6

Just don't have conflicting duplicates.  i.e. Don't have the same
hostname referring to two different IPs, or vice versa.

Read "man hosts" to understand how the file's used.

--
[tim@bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.23.1-10.fc7 i686 i386

I read messages from the public lists.