Re: VNC from Windows machine to Fedora box

On Sun, 2008-01-06 at 14:30 -0500, Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Sun, 06 Jan 2008 10:12:56 -0700
> Craig White <craigwhite@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > > Thanks, Wolfe. Will she need to install anything locally on her
> > > Winbox, or does rdestop support the builtin MS desktop sharing
> > > protocol? I'm a bit unable to google at the moment, but as soon as I
> > > get home I'll look deeper into it.
> > ----
> > WinXP Professional has Remote Desktop service, WinXP Home does not. I
> > presume a similar arrangement for Vista but haven't seen enough of Vista
> > to know.
>
> I'm pretty sure you have to enable remote desktop in some obscure
> control panel setting on the XP box to be able to use it. No doubt
> there could be firewall issues as well if there is a firewall on the
> XP box.
----
System => Remote (tab)

not all that obscure - but again, this is XP Professional only and the
option doesn't exist in WinXP Home

Port is 3389 (I believe UDP but you can enable both TCP & UDP to be
certain). I would probably recommend some stupid security via obscurity
concept of changing the port # from it's 'well-known' port of 3389 to
something else (fairly simple change in registry).

The thing is that when you open that up for one Internet connections,
you will open it up for all Internet connections and I am not certain of
the security implications of opening up RDP to the big bad Internet.

Craig