Re: The partition table on device sdb was unreadable

On Jan 5, 2008 3:21 PM, Dave Cross <davorg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm trying to do a new F8 installation on a system that is currently
> running F7. Th system has two SATA disks. The first (sda) is 160 GB
> and contains the boot partition, the swap and an LV which mounts /.
> The second disk (sdb) is 320 GB and contains another logical volume
> group containing two LVs, one for /home and one for /data.
>
> What I'd like to do is to reinstall onto / but leave all of the data
> in /home and /data untouched.
>
> But when the installation routine gets to the section where it starts
> to look at the disk partitions, it gives and error saying "The
> partition table on device sdb was unreadable". And it then won't let
> me set the mount points for the data LVs or mark them not to be
> formatted.
>
> That doesn't seem to be a problem for the existing installation. That
> can read the partition table without any problems.
>
> Am I trying to do something that you can't do? Is it impossible to
> reinstall from scratch but leave an existing LV untouched?
>
> I'm worried about proceeding as I really don't want to lose the data
> on this disk. And I don't really have the time (or space) to back it
> up.

I still don't know why I was getting the error, but some people might
be interested in knowing how it worked out.

As all of the data I wanted to keep was on one disk, I took the
low-tech approach and removed the disk before doing the installation.
I figured that the installation was very unlikely to be able to
reformat a disk that wasn't attached to the system :-)

That, of course, worked fine and I got F8 installed. And when I
replaced the data disk, the new installation found it without any
problems. I just had to create mount points and add a couple of lines
to /etc/fstab to ensure that they get mounted each time the system is
booted.

Cheers,

Dave...