Re: ldap on F8

On Sun, 2008-01-06 at 03:47 +0000, Amadeus W.M. wrote:
> On Sat, 05 Jan 2008 20:37:26 -0700, Craig White wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 2008-01-06 at 03:30 +0000, Amadeus W.M. wrote:
> >> I want to install ldap on F8 for use with evolution. I did a quick
> >> google search and it led me to the fedora directory project:
> >>
> >> http://directory.fedoraproject.org
> >>
> >> The FAQ says explains how fedora-ds relates to openldap. However, which
> >> one do I install? Does it matter? Does evolution work with either one?
> > ----
> > yes, both follow the standards for LDAP v2 & v3
> >
> > You may have some challenges installing fedora-ds on Fedora 8...at least
> > from my monitoring of the fedora directory mail list. OpenLDAP is simply
> > installed, probably a little better known and in wider use.
> >
> > That said, fedora-ds does have some GUI utils that just aren't available
> > for openldap.
> >
> > Evolution is relatively indifferent to which LDAP server you use
> > (fedora-ds/openldap/microsoft/SunDS/eDirectory/etc.)
> >
> > Craig
>
> Thank you!
>
> I've installed openldap, and I'm reading the instructions from RH. It
> says I have to edit /etc/openldap/slapd.conf:
>
> suffix     "dc=your-domain,dc=com"
>
> Now I want this for my lan only. I don't have a fully qualified domain
> name. What do I use? Can I use localhost localdomain? I don't suppose I
> can use verizon.net, can I?
----
You can use anything you want...it's your DSA  localdomain or verizon or
whatever. You don't have to use the dc=your-domain,dc=com type
designations either since LDAP isn't DNS unless you actually use it for
DNS.

I don't know what the RH instructions actually cover but I am certain
that they will be sparse...you should also check out the admin guide at
openldap.org...

http://www.openldap.org/doc/admin23/ (Fedora 8 distributes
openldap-2.3.x I would expect)

I would recommend, in fact heavily recommend a book, old, getting long
in the tooth but definitely the one book that provides the blinding
glimpse of the obvious that no other manual/walk-through/book gave me
about LDAP and that is the book by Gerald Carter called 'LDAP System
Administration'  The issue is that LDAP is unlike anything you ever
fooled with before and is very confusing.

Craig