Re: vgrename using fc6 rescue [redux]

On Sat, 2008-01-05 at 17:01 -0500, Tod wrote:
> Tod wrote:
> > I made it to the command prompt and typed in lvm vgscan, no volume
> > groups are found.  fdisk -l sees all my drives/partitions.
> >
> > What do I need to do to get it to recognize my volume group so I can
> > rename it?
>

> Sorry, poorly formed question.  Let me try again.
>
> I'm trying to rename my volume group.  I have one drive with a non-LVM
> boot partition and then the rest of the drive is LVM'ed, I have another
> drive on the box - single partition, entirely LVM'ed.
>
>  From all indications I should be able to boot up with the fc6 rescue
> cd,  do a vgrename, change the /etc/fstab and grub.conf to reflect the
> new name and life is good.
>
> So I booted up with the rescues cd, did not enable the network, skipped
> the search for fedora installations, and ended up with a command prompt.
>
> At this point I should just be able to do a
> - lvm vgscan
> - lvm vgrename
>
> I can't get past vgscan, it doesn't find any volume groups.  If I try
> vgrename --test oldname newname it fails because it still can't find any
> volume groups.
>
> ls /dev shows nothing volume group related.  vgscan --mknodes, and
> vgmknodes both do nothing.
>
> This has to be something stupid I'm not doing but I am at a loss.  Given
> the VolGroup00 naming the fedora applies by default I can't imagine this
> hasn't come up a lot yet none of the solutions I have found are
> applicable.  Can anybody point me in the right direction?
>

> Thanks!

4 questions:
A. What's your hardware configuration. (Controller, drives, etc)
B. Stupid question - does F6 even recognize your storage; Can you see
something in the kernel
log? /sys/bus/scsi/devices/? /sys/bus/ide/devices/?
(Don't forget that the rescue CD is based on a far older kernel.)
C. Have you tried F7/8 rescue CDs?
D. What does pvscan return?

- Gilboa