Re: Grub feature request?

Beartooth wrote:
On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 06:58:44 +0900, John Summerfield wrote:
[...]
1. read the docs. Be aware though that "boot" means "load the kernel." I
don't see that it can help with crashing kernels.

If there is any documentation of anything, anywhere, yet more opaque than all I've read of grub, I shudder to think of it. It's written, like a classic gummint manual, for those who already know everything in it, cold, and want an occasional reminder. Those of us lacking such knowledge, it merely daunts.

I find that playing with something while referring to the docs helps. Grub is easy to play with, though one needs two computers or a printed copy of the grub manual for best results:-)

I find info documentation generally hard to use, but the pinfo command makes it easier to browse.

2. Take a look at grub2.
The project site, for instance at http://www.gnu.org/software/ grub/grub-2-support.en.html, was last updated a little over a year and a half ago; stability was hoped for as of November '06. Did that come to pass?? Or is it still an invitation to disaster for mere mortals?

That's grub2. It's intended to replace grub, when ready. Look for what it describes as "grub legacy."

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait