user failures

Greetings;

I had my boot drives partition table zeroed out last night by something unk,
and then X froze.  Tapping the reset button is SOP here for that, but its
been weeks since X has locked up like that.

On the reboot, no dice.  Screens full of 'GRUB'.

Boot f8 dvd in rescue mode, find partition table has been zeroed out on the
boot drive. As in all balls folks.

And no copy of it was available on another media, so, screw it, go ahead and
install F8, using only that drive.  That went swimmingly.

I've used both amanda, and early on, dd to recover enough from my amandatapes
to get amanda installed and running again.  But in the process of dd'ing
that, the user, me, got overwritten in /home cuz I grabbed the whole /home
tree as saved from the FC6 install.

So, can I, as root, copy that /home/gene tree to /home/gene.old, remove that
user and then adduser  again, then copy stuff back a bit more selectively
this time and have it work ok again?

It makes sense anyway.

My initial login to x was as gene, then su - to run such as yum, amrecover
etc. Symptoms ATM for the user gene are that the kmenu looks good, but
clicking on anything in it to run it fails, apparently silently.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)