Re: prevent yum deleting downloaded updates

On Saturday 05 January 2008 19:26, David Boles wrote:

> Nigel Henry wrote:
> | On Saturday 05 January 2008 17:37, yordy wrote:
> |> anybody know how to tell yum do not delete downloaded updates after
> |> apply this? In previous versions of Fedora I have to clear my cache
> |> manually because yum keep all downloaded updates, but in Fedora 8 yum
> |> delete all downloaded updates automatically.
> |
> | Hi Yordy. Edit /etc/yum.conf as root, and change the line.
> | keepcache=0  to keepcache=1
> |
> | While your at it, and if you want to keep more than the default 2
> | kernels, add a line to the file as below.
> | installonly_limit=0
> |
> | That will disable yum from trashing kernels you may want to keep (the 0
> | is a zero by the way).
>
> I have to ask you Nigel. Why would you want to keep more that two kernels
> when you have the one that is currently running and the previous one that
> was running when the current one was installed?

> ~  David

Hi David. Now that's an interesting question. First I must say that I use Apt,
not Yum, and Apt keeps all the kernels, unless you manually remove them,
which personally I prefer. I suppose that I just don't like the situation
where Yum decides which kernels are going to be available.

For one thing, I do like to keep the kernel that was installed when I
installed the distro. Usually this one works ok, so I don't want it trashed,
and is likely to happen if /etc/yum.conf is left as default.

Let's say that I don't like others making decisions for me.

Another example. This is not for Fedora, but Debian. I have 2.6.8, and 2.6.11
pre udev kernelsinstalled, and my video devices, bttv, and the ov511 webcam
are loaded in the correct order "Always". Kernels using udev are very hit and
miss. Sometimes bttv is /dev/video0 (correct), and ov511 is /dev/video1 (also
correct). Othertimes bttv is /dev/video1, and ov511 /dev/video0, and both
incorrect as regards the pre-udev kernels. Allright, you can write rules in
udev to get the ordering correct, but is nice if you still have the pre udev
kernels to confirm that pre udev kernels get the video devices in the correct
order.

What all of this comes down to, and considering that I'm on dialup. I don't
want the cache trashed as default with Yum, as I may have more than one
instance of the distro to update, and can use the downloaded packages to save
download time for the other Fedora instance that I want to update.

Regarding adding the line "installonly_limit=0" that is personal choice. As
far as I'm concerned, I like to be in control. It's easy to remove kernels
that you no longer want, but not so easy to re-install earlier kernels.

This was after all only a suggestion.

Nigel.