Re: more Fedora Cookbook: VNC

On Sat, 5 Jan 2008, John Summerfield wrote:

> Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>

> > > # Use "-localhost" to prevent remote VNC clients connecting except
> > > when # doing so through a secure tunnel.  See the "-via" option in
> > > the # `man vncviewer' manual page.
> >
> > i only recently noticed the "-via" option, but the man page
> > explanation for that is hideously uninformative in terms of explaining
> > what my options are for the "gateway" system.  assuming i can use the
> > VNC client system itself as the gateway, if i'm currently connecting
> > using:
> >
> >   $ vncviewer 192.168.1.100:5901
> >
> > how precisely would i extend that to add a "-via" option?  that
> > *would* be worth adding to the recipe.
>

> I've notice -via before, and am at least as confused as you are.
> However, my LANs are small enough and my VNCs and firewalls tight
> enough that i simply don't trouble myself with making it listen to a
> specific IP address.

oh, wait, it works thusly (at least in my case):

  $ vncviewer -via localhost <VNC server IP>:1

which would seem to make sense in the trivial case -- i want the
localhost (VNC client system) to act as the SSH gateway.  i'll play
with this some more to see what else needs explaining.

rday

Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA

Home page:                                         http://crashcourse.ca