Re: Java problem

Lamar Owen wrote:

While it would be very nice, for many people, for the kernel module ABI and API to remain a constant, it is plain from the Linux kernel upstream that this isn't going to happen; and it's not a Fedora thing. The Fedora issue is where a kernel version upgrade that changes the source code module API is introduced inside a release; good grief, can it not wait until the next Fedora release, where I EXPECT breakage in this interface? In F7, the 2.6.22 to 2.6.23 caught alot of people (and not just binary module people) off

You need to upgrade your expectations:-)

guard. Will F8, which shipped a 2.6.23, get a 2.6.24 that similarly breaks some things? After all, the Linux 2.6.x series is a development kernel

I'm sure it will.

series; there was and there is no stable 2.6.x kernel (now, 2.6.x.y, on the other hand, can be fairly stable, from an API/ABI point of view), in the same sense as 2.4.x, 2.2.x, or even 2.0.x is and was stable.

Fedora's first goal is to showcase the latest technologies. If you can't risk the instability this entails, use RHEL or one of its clones.

Other major distros have a similar approach to development and carry similar risks with their "latest technology showcases."

We in the open source world, and specifically in the Fedora world, have a unique and extraordinary opportunity to try out and impact the development of our OS! Running bleeding edge stuff that you can actually tinker with is a privilege, not a bugfest! Instead of just installing the Sun JDK and taking the easy way out, should I have time to pursue it, I plan to help the development of the next generation out, and feel good about doing it.

And that, in a nutshell, is why I run Fedora X (where X is the current version) on my personal laptop, even with the annoyances I can feel great about what bug reports and help I can provide to this great group.

If, knowing (as you and I do) the risks inherent in using Fedora we choose to do so. OTOH there seem to many here who don't understand that this is no RHEL, and will risk their business on it.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait