Re: Printer sharing over network

On Friday 04 January 2008, Aaron Konstam wrote:
>On Fri, 2008-01-04 at 09:48 -0600, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>> Mike Chambers wrote:
>> > If you have a printer installed, and set it to "sharing" on it's
>> > properties, is that enough for another computer (windows vista or linux)
>> > to be able to find/recognize it and use it?  Or do you have to setup
>> > samba as well?
>>
>> With Windows XP, you set up an IPP printer. I would think Vista
>> would be the same.
>>
>> > Hrm, have thought bout a way to use (if there is one) a printer router
>> > type thing to plug it into to (has usb cable) let all computers connect
>> > to it via printer server or something along those lines (already have
>> > linksys wireless router)?
>>
>> If the print server supports IPP, it is easy. Chances are that CUPS
>> will detect it. Using a lpr type print server is slightly harder,
>> but not much. Windows requires a bit more work. I would expect the
>> router/print server to support IPP, and possible a couple more
>> protocols.
>>
>> Mikkel
>
>As  I said any Windows XP machine that runs IIS willk support ipp
>protocol.

I just ran into another gotcha, while running F8 on my lappy.  Fresh install
of x86_64.  I wanted to print something and all the menu's looked ok so I hit
the print button.  Nada, zip, dead silence.  Then I recalled that I had not
added this machine to its /etc/hosts file, so I did.  The printer started up
and printed what I wanted within a couple of seconds of saving the hosts file
with the additional host info added to it.

One of those trees you can't see for all the forest in the way. :)

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)