Re: alternative to `tar`

Dave Ihnat wrote:
On Fri, Jan 04, 2008 at 04:54:03PM +0100, Guillaume wrote:
actually, I use the tar utility to backup my fedora box to a file...
Is there a way to speed up the restore process with any options to
tar, or, any other command utility to use for my backup.

Hmm...dunno if it'll be any faster, but you could try cpio.  It's another
old standby, and uses a different directory structure.  But it sounds
like you're dealing with a lot of data, so there are still a lot of bytes
to slap around.

Others have mentioned rsync.  If you want actual backup, take a look at
Amanda, but be prepared--it's relatively complex.

My favorite is backuppc (http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/), which has several advantages that apply to this scenario. First, even though it may take some time to set up, it is a 'start and forget' program that normally needs no attention and will send you an email when things go wrong. Second, it stores the backups compressed and links duplicate files (whether from subsequent backups or different targets) to save additional space. Third, it provides a handy web server for browsing through the backup history and doing restores with random access, either back to the source machine or downloaded through the browser interface.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx