Re: Printer sharing over network

On Fri, 2008-01-04 at 01:12 -0500, Kevin J. Cummings wrote:

> When you "share" a printer in CUPS, then other systems can access it.
>
> Share a Linux printer with Windows has other problems.
>
> What I have found is that it you are using a Windows print driver for
> the printer under Windows, then you will want to configure a CUPS
> version of you printer which has a "raw" print driver.  In order for
> this to work, you will want to edit the file:
>
> /etc/cups/mime.types
>
> and uncomment the line:
>
> application/octet-stream

This printer is an HP psc 1310v all-in-one printer via usb cable to my
linux desktop.  Plug it in, or as now, turn it on, and it is shown as
installed and works (although, have to reboot sometimes to get the job
to print , don't know why yet but is only way).

And I looked and the file above already has that line uncommented.

> In the CUPS administration stuff, you will need to create a new
> "printer" which uses the raw print driver, but still access the same
> physical printer.

So going off what I wrote above, I still need to create a new printer
with teh raw drivers?  Do I remove the one that cups currently has setup
to use the printer and use it along with the newly created one?

> >From the Windows side, you will need to set up a network printer using
> the IPP: or HTTP: protocols, something like:
>
> http://linux-machine:631/printers/raw_printer_name
>
> If you do it right, you will be able to print to your Linux printer from
> your Windows machine.

We can take this off list if need be as well, I don't mind.  Although
will be later tonight after work before I can do anything, or maybe
tomorrow.

--
Mike Chambers
Madisonville, KY