Email delivery (sendmail->procmail->$HOME/mbox) with fallback

I want to configure email to deliver to ${HOME}/.mbox and I think I understand that now. Configure /etc/procmailrc with:

MAILDIR=${HOME}/.mbox

Ultimately however, /home will be an NFS mount. I am wondering what happens if that mount is not there when mail needs to be delivered. I am reading that procmail will 'just create it' which seems bad.

I would like to configure procmail so that if the NFS mount is not there, to just deliver to /var/mail/ (or /var/spool/mail) so that when I get the NFS mount back, I believe I can use formail/procmail to later get it from /var/mail to ${HOME}/.mbox. (If anyone has an example configuration that does this, I'd love to see it)

or

To better understand my sendmail configuration, does the following line mean:

FEATURE(local_procmail, `', `procmail -t -Y -a $h -d $u')dnl

that if email can't be delivered (because the directory doesn't exist), it will just go back into the mqueue for sendmail to try and deliver later? Is this a valid solution, or will sendmail just get overloaded with mail that can't be delivered? 'man procmail' shows this via the -t option if I read correctly.

In the end, clients can get their email with dovecot via pop3 or imap (or Usermin).