Re: Java

I've been following these threads (Java Problem & Java Again Really) and I
think that some of the focus and direction has been lost. It's almost
become 'let me exert my will on you' situation.

If we ask ourselves 'Why is Fedora being built?' we will see that this
isn't a 'out of the box solution' for most users, nor is it a M$ desktop
replacement - yet.  For that you need someone to make all of the choices
and decisions for you and we know who that is. As long as Linux remains a
'do it the way you want it to be done' operating system, there is no wrong
way to do things - if it works, only different ways to do things.  If you
like the how and where the people who packages the extra pieces (and
remember that java, tomcat, eclipse, etc. are extra and not required to run
Fedora) provided, then go that direction.  But if you decide you want to go
a different way, then pose your question here and someone will attempt to
give a way to do it - not tell you that you are wrong for not going the way
someone else has decided.

I chose a different direction for my 'extra' packages:
      For Java, take a look at these documents:
            http://fedorasolved.org/browser-solutions/java-i386
            http://fedorasolved.org/browser-solutions/sun-jdk
      Both of these are on the Fedora Solved site. I combined them to make
my working document.

      There are others, but they are beyond the scope of these threads.

If anyone still doesn't think that there are Linux users attempting to
control how people do things, all that's required is for them to stand back
and read these threads.

Thanks,
Gene Poole