Re: Java problem

Cameron Simpson wrote:
On 02Jan2008 12:53, Karl Larsen <k5di@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Cameron Simpson wrote:
The other thing you should bear in mind is that "jar" is a tool like "ar",
"tar" or "zip" - it constructs, inspects or unpacks ".jar" files.

To _run_ a java program you want the "java" command.

Usually a Java app is distributed as a jar file, an archive containing the
program, and the command "java -jar foo.jar" is used to run it.

You still need "java" in your $PATH, or to invoke "java" explicitly (eg
"/usr/java/bin/java") if it is not in your $PATH. Usually it is desirable to
adjust your $PATH you include this stuff, saving painful long paths later.

Both "java" and "jar" have manual pages, quite good ones. If java in
installed out of the "vendor" area (here "vendor" means redhat/fedora
and "/usr/bin" is part of their area - that they expect a free hand
in), you will need to adjust your $MANPATH to include the "..../man"
directory of wherever the java package is installed, much as you have to
adjust $PATH to include the "..../bin" directory to run "java" without
using the full path of the command.
   OK I am finding this at /usr/java/:

[root@k5di ~]# ls /usr/java
default  jre1.6.0_03  latest

Now default
      ^^^^^^^
I am not sure what you mean at this ^^^ point.
Unless "default" is a symbolic link that points at "jre1.6.0_03".
The "ls -l /usr/java/" command will show this.

and /usr/java/jrel.6.0_03/ are identical and have this:

[root@k5di ~]# ls /usr/java/jre1.6.0_03/
bin        javaws  LICENSE  plugin  THIRDPARTYLICENSEREADME.txt
COPYRIGHT  lib     man      README  Welcome.html
[root@k5di ~]#

My experiance to date is that using $ java -jar filename.jar works but other problems crop up. Also I have no man java. So it is not in the searchpath for man packages. How do I fix that?

As mentioned, you want to update your $PATH and $MANPATH.
Looking at your output above I would suggest running these shell
commands:

  PATH=/usr/java/jre1.6.0_03/bin:$PATH
  MANPATH=/usr/java/jre1.6.0_03/man:$MANPATH
  export PATH MANPATH

The other thing that java tends to like is the $JAVA_HOME variable.
You might usefull do this instead:

  JAVA_HOME=/usr/java/jre1.6.0_03
  PATH=$JAVA_HOME/bin:$PATH
  MANPATH=$JAVA_HOME/man:$MANPATH
  export JAVA_HOME PATH MANPATH

The see if "man java" produces a manual page. (Be warning, it's a very
long manual page!) Also see if "java -jar filename.jar" now behaves
better.

Cheers,
I did your calls but I made then to /usr/java/default/man for example because default will become the latest java unpacked on your computer. All I did yeaterday makes the downloaded java work.

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User