Re: saned: permission problem with Deskjet_F300_series all-in-one

Nick Urbanik <nicku@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Dear Mr Scrooge,

On 02/01/08 17:16 -0800, Mr.Scrooge wrote:
>This might be a stupid question but did you give the saned group
>permission to use the scanner?

Clearly not; I don't understand why I can use it and saned can't.
I also am not clear on the udev setup required to get it to work.

As I said before:
>> Here are the permissions:
>> $ ls -l /proc/bus/usb/003/004
>> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 147 2008-01-03 06:21 /proc/bus/usb/003/004
I think you are having the same problem that i was having. Root owns the printer and has read/write permission. The group permissions( in this case the group root belongs to which only includes root has read and everyone else has only the read permission). It confused me as well the first time. So you must use chmod to make the printer accessible to everyone or try installing the printer while logged in as a member of the saned group. Can members of the saned group even see the printer? Does it show up in the drop down when they try to print or is the postscript/default the only thing present?

Nick Urbanik http://nicku.org nicku@xxxxxxxxx