Re: lite-scribe question.

On Thursday 03 January 2008, Ric Moore wrote:
>On Wed, 2008-01-02 at 09:11 +0900, John Summerfield wrote:
>> Ric Moore wrote:
>> > Among the things I wonder about, I wonder how they can sell a cartridge
>> > without noting the amount of fluid the cartridge contains? It would be
>> > nice for costing purposes.  A damn can of frozen orange juice has to
>> > list the amount of it's contents. Why not an ink cartridge?? :) Ric
>>
>> http://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl=en&c2coff=1&safe=active&q=%22hp+38
>>%22+capacity&btnG=Search
>
>I ran that search on an HP92 and found that the cartridge is good for 175
> pages @ 20 bucks!! Jeeeeeesus. My Teletype 43 would print several cases of
> paper before even starting to dim. Sure, print quality is hugely better,
> but not by that wide a margin. wayward4now.net will be back up once the
> satellite is installed. Then, I'll pang on some heads. :) Ric

That 43 is so 1960's, but it was also a hockey puck for tough.  Tell ya what
Ric, I have a xerox 1650-ro out in the shed that with a couple fresh
capacitors on the hammer driver board, and a bit of that rubber softener on
the platen roller, can look as good for text as this c82 sitting here.  But
its a 1 time carbon film ribbon that's not good for a whole box of 20lb
tractor feed, so they had already discovered there is money in the
consumables.  Sometimes the more things change the more they stay the same.
But it is slower than the c82, by quite a bit even if it was the fastest
daisy wheel printer ever made at 40 cps.  I've put 30 or more boxes of 20 lb
through it myself over the years since I bought it at a flea market for a $25
dollar bill in about '87.  Original metal pure ascii wheel on it too yet.
Truly the king of quality printers in its day, huge, it could handle the old
green bar paper 18" wide too.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)