Re: FC6 upgrade from FC4 trouble accessing rpms/dvd

pd520@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
I did try to upgrade a FC4 to FC6 but anaconda failed. I am uisng the Rescude CD and then the fedora6.iso
Why didn't you boot the f6 dvd directly ?

The DVD has been checked.
Is that using media check ?

I can eventually access to the fc6.rpm files but anaconda fails. At one poin the /tmp/cdrom is mounted on /mnt/source but then the DVD is dismounted. anaconda complains on ///mnt/source/Fedora/RPMS/firefox-1.5.7-7.fc6.i386.rpm,
What was the message exactly ?

I guess that it is just because it is the first file to update.
I doubt firefox would be first - from memory, I think it does underlying requirements first - eg libs etc.

Checking the virtual terminals on ctrl-alt-3, 4 might provide some error messages {that we can translate} ?

I wouldn't be surprised if a combination of dvd drive, disc, age and temperature are causing issues during extended reading of the dvd.

A different way to check the DVD is on the machine you are trying to upgrade:
- boot the old fc4
- dd if=/dev/dvd of=/tmp/f6-dvd.iso
- sha1sum  f6-dvd.iso
compare that to the published checksums for that disc.
This does do sequential reads, rather than the random reads that the installer would do.

My preferred way is to use the hard drive upgrade method {this gets around even needing a working dvd disc/drive at all}: - ensure you have a partition that can hold the dvd.iso file {that isn't lvm nor raid}.
- put the dvd.iso file in the root of that partition
- mount and copy the dvd/images/pxeboot/ vmlinuz and initrd.img to /boot/
- create a new /boot/grub/grub.conf boot entry for:
title Fedora 6 upgrade
        kernel /vmlinuz
        initrd /initrd.img
- Reboot, selecting that entry.
- choose method-hard drive
- select the correct partition by name/number, path=/
From there it should be a normal upgrade.

DaveT.