Re: CD-less upgrade (Was: BlueTooth Issues)

<snip>

> > As I said, it's far easier (... and faster!) to do a fresh install on a
> > spare partition and migrate all the configuration files to the new
> > installation.
>
> I have to agree with Gilboa here.  An upgrade installs the new packages
> and then removes the old packages, while an install wipes the selected
> filesystems and simply installs into the clean space.
>
> This solves several nagging problems that can effect an upgraded system.
>
> As for backup, the minimal set of stuff that really requires a backup
> are: /etc     #Configuration data
>      /var     #spool, www, ftp and such
>      /home    #if not on a separate file system that can be preserved
>      /usr/local   #again, if not on a separate filesystem
>
> The remaining filesystems that should usually be on mounted sections
> (root, usr, srv, usr, boot) can be wiped/reformatted.
>
> I will note that the "default" filesystem layout selected by the F8
> installer (anaconda version) is *not* quite as robust as it could be.
> It seems too much like another commercial OS in that it only makes two
> filesystems (boot and root) and crams everything together in root.  This
> requires the user to make full backups at upgrade time.
The above statement is not true. I have only on / filesystem and I back up
/home /root /etc/ and anything else I want to backup using tar before
each upgrade.  This is especially useful when you want to restore your
old home directory in the directory the installed created. Untarring
with the -k option does not overwrite the files already existing in the
directory so the new  versions of the gnome configuration files (for
example) are preserved.
> At a minimum I recommend three partitions: boot, root and home
> At "best" I use: root, boot, usr, usr/local, home, var, tmp, srv
>
> There are good reasons for such separation, and there are some standard
> recommendations for sizes, but that is another discussion.
>
> --
> Wolfe

A wise person makes his own decisions, a weak one obeys public opinion.
-- Chinese proverb