VNC Server - Now no login on server

Hi,
I just set up F8 with all updates. Edited the vnc config files, set password or a username, and managed to start vncserver. When I connect from a remote machine all I get is a slate gray screen with a cursor (an "x" ) but nothing else.

Then I went into System -> Network -> Sharing and set it to share the desktop (here I was logged in as root).

Now after a reboot, I get a cli for login but am unable to log in to the machine.

  so my questions
  1) is there a way to back out of the "Sharing" from the CLI?
2) what is the command to give GRUB on boot to get me to the CLI? I thought that it was "linux 3" but I must have entered it incorrectly.

TIA

Bob