Re: 32- versus 64-bit fedora on an AMD 64 mobile athlon?

On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 13:27:41 -0800 (PST)
"Mr.Scrooge" <maximilian_bianco@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> So is it worth anything for the average user to install 64 bit on a workstation at this point?

As I said in my previous message in this thread, it depends on what else you're
doing.

I see a substantial (i.e. noticeable) difference in the speed that Scribus can
scroll a complex document on this F8/x86_64 installation, compared to when I
had F7/i386 installed on this same machine.  Impositions and RIPs seem to
run a bit faster too.

On the other hand, there isn't much of a difference in a lot of other stuff.

I think you have little to lose by going to x86_64 if you can, with some very
narrow exceptions depending on exactly what you do with your computer.

For the average user doing the average thing, there's probably little to lose
by going with x86_64.  There might not be much to be gained either, but
anything is greater than nothing, so why not?